Yard Tractor Operator
Yard tractor operation to facilitate safe, accurate, efficient and timely movement of loaded and empty trailers, containers, and chassis on private property at our Kent, WA warehouse location. Note, this is a NON CDL duty assignment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operate a yard tractor in safe manner to provide accurate and timely positioning of loaded and empty containers/trailers on private property at our Kent, WA warehouse location. Exemplify and support safe operations within the yard and facility.
- Receive and act timely upon receiving instructions, provide timely feedback as to status of assignments on an ongoing basis.
- Effectively interact with dispatch, warehouse supervisors, company, contracted and other truck drivers to ensure efficient yard usage and positioning of inbound and outbound trailers, containers and chassis.
- Maintain an organized, safe and efficient yard, exercising independent judgement to achieve these goals as necessary.
- Affix and remove security measures on yard tractor/trailers/containers/chassis and yard gates as required.
- Inspect equipment, document and report deficiencies timely.
- Keep vehicle clean as circumstances allow.
- Prepare/complete/verify documentation legibly as related to the duties outlined and input updates in yard computer.
- Comply with company rules and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 1 year verifiable SAFE experience operating a yard tractor. (CDL experience may be considered in lieu).
- Valid driving license with a verifiable safe driving record for 4 years. (Insurer may review)
- Follow instructions received verbally, written or electronically on a timely basis.
- Legibly complete required forms and documents in English.
- Receive instructions and input responses via electronic devices such as phones, radios and computers.
- Demonstrate consistently safe and efficient yard tractor operational skills, especially safe backing skills.
- Demonstrate awareness and ability to inspect and recognize mechanical problems with the equipment.
- Duties require a high degree of attention to detail and dexterity and strength in the operation and control of the yard tractor.
- Duties require a sufficient degree of dexterity and strength to operate trailer and chassis landing gear.
- Duties require a sufficient degree of strength and manipulative skill to open and close a variety of conveyance doors throughout the shift.
- Duties require the dexterity and strength to utilize some hand tools, including, but not limited to: hammers, pry bars, bolt/cable cutters, screw drivers
- Maintain valid driving license and pass company required drug and alcohol tests.
- Organized and able to plan yard space utilization in advance.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both written and verbal, in writing, on keyboard, radio, phone or computer.
- Ability to maintain accurate and orderly records and of activity to input into electronic database. .
- Patience to professionally interact effectively with all staff, drivers or others encountered during the work day.
- Use of cell phone, texting, computer, email and two-way radio is common.
Work Environment / Physical Environment
- Operator must climb into and out of a yard tractor on a frequent basis, sit and get up during this time and manipulate various controls and maintain awareness of a traffic environment which is often very busy.
- Operator will walk to/from cab to trailers and facility throughout the day.
- Operator may pull, push, crank or otherwise exert force on various equipment components on a regular basis.
- Operator may crouch, reach and manipulate securement devices on a regular basis.
- Operator may perform many duties in a cab, but will be exposed to outside weather conditions on an regular basis.
- Lifting may be required, up to 40 lbs. on an intermittent basis and up to 70 lbs. on an occasional basis.
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Kent, WA, USA