CDL- A Driver
At Odyssey, we believe high expectations are the key to everything. When we strive to become better than what we are, everything around us becomes better, too. Odyssey strives to foster an environment that allows employees to develop new ideas and thrive. With our advanced technology, global network and integrated processes, we regularly break new ground for clients and are able to offer logistics careers that cultivate successful professionals and develop existing talent.
Our team is comprised of logisticians, engineers, technicians and supply chain experts, as well as professionals in other administrative and specialized areas who work at multiple locations across the United States, as well as in our international operations in North America, Europe and Asia.
For more information, please visit www.odysseylogistics.com
Transports and delivers product or material by operating a tractor/trailer truck. Moves and positions trailers between facilities. Assures the security of trailers, equipment, and cargo in trailers while cargo or equipment is in Drivers care on site, between sites, and in storage yard. Loads and Devans cargo as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(Include the following. Other duties may be assigned)
- Ensure high quality customer service, professional communications and interaction with customers, driver contractors, and employees at all times.
- Operate and utilize all company trucks, trailers and material handling equipment in an efficient and safe manner.
- Determines condition of vehicle by inspecting vehicle before and after use; logging inspection reports and repair requirements. All in accordance with DOT, FMC requirements. Maintains fuel level to assure that vehicle is sufficiently fueled for the busy periods of each shift.
- Report all damaged freight, containers, trailers, warehouse equipment, or damage to warehouse docks, fence, gates, and awnings, immediately upon discovery or occurrence of damage.
- Comply with DOT required record keeping and state Highway safety regulations.
- Assist Yard Supervisor in checking trailer/container security at the beginning and end of each shift to assure that trailers are locked or sealed with numeric matching seal. Assist in the associated of accounting for equipment inventory at the beginning of each shift.
- Positions equipment on site to enhance facility and cargo security, workflows, and to ensure protection of equipment from damage.
- Coordinates with Dispatch to assure immediate retrieval, removal, or repositioning of equipment to ensure effective utilization of manpower in the warehouse and other drivers.
- Secures doors and places seals on full trailers. Records the seal numbers for shipping documentation.
- Secures and locks trailers partially unloaded or loaded at the end of each day. Blocking doors against walls and fences to supplement locks as add security of freight.
- Practice proper and safe lifting practices at all times
- Delivers product or material to destination by identifying destination; selecting route; driving the vehicle. Practicing Cargo Security Awareness at all times while driving for Odyssey International Services.
- Loads and unloads cargo as assigned, maintaining accurate accounting and documentation.
- Comply with OSHA and MSDS standards. Maintain a clean, neat and orderly cab and work area.
- Aggressively protect the security of freight in drivers care and Odyssey International Services storage yards
- Ensures proper operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; troubleshooting malfunctions; Notifying manager of or calling for repairs; maintaining equipment supplies; evaluating equipment.
- Complete required paperwork on a daily basis as required by law company practices and policy.
- Supports and actively complies with the security duties and responsibilities described in the C-TPAT Security Program document which was received and signed for upon hire.
- Intricate knowledge of surrounding area.
- Strong organizational skills.
- To qualify you must have a high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.); active, CDL-A driver's license
- At least 1 year of CDL driving experience w/safe driving record.
- Ability to meet all Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulation requirements for CDL-A drivers
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to maintain orderly records (including DOT compliance records), and relate concise accounting for schedule activities/route.
- Position frequently involves heavy lifting or working in awkward positions beneath trailers and while lowering landing gear.
- Must meet Department of Transportation physical and medical requirements and pass substance abuse testing.
- Requires high degree of attention and considerable dexterity in the control of the truck and in preventing damage to units.
Employee must lift 40 lbs on a intermittent basis and up to 70 lbs on a less than frequent basis, sit for extended periods of time, stand for extended periods of time while monitoring or participating in devan/loading. Walk for up to 2 hours in a shift to secure trailer, retrieve/deliver documents. Reach above head for storing materials (up to 40 lbs), grasp, handle, and perform finger operations. Must focus physical activity for extended periods of time driving. Majority of time spent on feet in & out of potentially inclement weather. Typical non-heated warehouse dock environment, Unheated cab, and outdoor movements related to trailer positioning. Seasonal hot & cold temperatures will be experienced.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits package including:
- Choice of medical plans with FSA, HRA and HSA options;
- Company-paid dental and life/disability Plans;
- 401K with company match;
- Preferred vendor discounts;
- Work-life balance
No relocation allowance will be considered unless specifically addressed. All applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Odyssey is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against qualified applicants with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements Odyssey complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
- Job Family Operations - Company Driver
- Pay Type Hourly
- South St. Paul, MN, USA