Manufacturing Excellence Leader- Pulp
In operation since 1925, the Ticonderoga Mill produces high end printing and technical papers harvested from Adirondack and Vermont forests. With over 600 dedicated employees focused on safety, environment, quality and production, we operate and monitor various pulping and papermaking processes and systems.
The Pulp Manufacturing Excellence (ME) Leader reports directly to the Manager of Manufacturing Excellence (MME). Pulp ME Leader is directly responsible for the Manufacturing Excellence process, which includes year-over-year (YOY) continuous improvement in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, reliability and cost reduction. The expectation is that a minimum of 80% of the ME Leader’s time will involve activities related to Deliberate Improvement. The ME Leader should, however, maintain awareness of the mill’s day-to-day issues and problems while staying primarily focused on proactive, long-term progress on improvement. The ME Leader must closely coordinate with resources at all levels of the organization, including Business Unit Manager, Area Managers, and others, to ensure the department’s improvement plan is coordinated and cohesive.
- Own the identification, prioritization, implementation, and sustainability of both deliberate and continuous improvement initiatives to meet the mill’s yoy cost reduction goals.
- Track and communicate the progress of all initiatives in the CoRe database and utilize the department’s quarterly x-matrix to align with mill’s strategy deployment.
- Champion weekly Power department ME meetings to meet objectives.
- Train salaried and hourly employees to develop ME skills millwide, including White and Yellow Belt classroom training and the mentoring of Yellow and Green Belts.
- As part of the ME dept., improve the GMS Cost Reduction element internal audit scores and champion a sub-element.
- Continue to improve ME knowledge and skills with advanced training and ME certifications up to Black Belt level.
- Influence Power Business Unit operations teams to incorporate ME systems and processes to support sustainability of improvements as they are accomplished.
- Support operations through annual outage support.
- Identify and implement Manufacturing Excellence best practices from across the mill, business, and company.
- Work with MME/Power Dept. to validate and prioritize R-Gap and A-Gap opportunities.
- Provide support for cost reduction capital project development (Business Case) and implementation.
- Provide support for budgeting cycle targeted at delivering year over year savings.
- Fulfill weekend duty team leadership role for assigned department.
It is required that the Manufacturing Excellence Leader role be filled by an individual with a strong manufacturing management background and a track record of achieving consistent, significant results through systems and teams. Successful candidate should have the ability to:
- Instill safety as a core value within the team and effectively communicate a shared vision for safety
- Quickly develop thorough knowledge of mill equipment and systems
- Utilize excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to groups and individuals at all levels
- Approach positional responsibilities in an inclusive manner by engaging all team members in area, department, and mill
- Work effectively alone or within a team
- Utilize strong organizational skills to handle multiple tasks effectively
- Possess strong computer knowledge and skills that include experience with spreadsheets, word processing, and Minitab (or other statistical analysis software)
- Ability to excel with minimal supervision in a team environment
Minimum of four (4) years experience in operations, maintenance, and/or engineering in a paper manufacturing environment is required. Experience with continuous improvement concepts and tools is required. Prior experience as a First Line Leader, Area Process Manager, and Operations Maintenance Coordinator preferred. Bachelor’s degree in chemical, mechanical or electrical engineering or equivalent practical experience required. Lean/six sigma certifications a plus, with IP ME certifications a strong plus.
- Job Family Manufacturing
- Job Function Mill Only
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Ticonderoga, NY 12883, USA